搜索

博斯科姆比溪谷秘案 第35期:水落石出(2)

查看: 347.0k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:14:54 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
博斯科姆比溪谷秘案 第35期:水落石出(2)
The old man sank his face in his hands. "God help me!" he cried.
这个老人把头低垂,两手掩面。他喊道:"上帝保佑我吧!
"But I would not have let the young man come to harm.
但是,我是不会让这个年轻人受害的。
I give you my word that I would have spoken out if it went against him at the Assizes."
我向你保证,如果巡回审判法庭宣判他有罪,我会出来说话的。"
"I am glad to hear you say so," said Holmes gravely.
福尔摩斯严肃地说:"我很高兴听你这么说。"
"I would have spoken now had it not been for my dear girl.
"要不是为了我亲爱的女儿着想,我早就说出来了。
It would break her heart -- it will break her heart when she hears that I am arrested."
那会使她十分痛心的,当她听到我被捕的消息时,她是会很痛心的。"
"It may not come to that," said Holmes. "What?"
福尔摩斯说:"也许不至于要逮捕吧。""你说什么?"
"I am no official agent.
"我不是官方侦探。
I understand that it was your daughter who required my presence here, and I am acting in her interests.
我明白,是你女儿要求我到这里来的,我现在是替她办事。
Young McCarthy must be got off, however."
无论如何必须使小麦卡锡无罪开释。"
"I am a dying man," said old Turner. "I have had diabetes for years.
老特纳说:"我是个濒临死亡的人了。我患糖尿病已有多年。
My doctor says it is a question whether I shall live a month.
我的医生说,我是否还能活一个月都是个问题。
Yet I would rather die under my own roof than in a jail."
可是,我宁可死在自己家里也不愿死在监狱里。"
Holmes rose and sat down at the table with his pen in his hand and a bundle of paper before him.
福尔摩斯站起身来走到桌子旁边坐下,然后拿起笔,在他面前放着一沓纸。
"Just tell us the truth," he said. "I shall jot down the facts.
他说:"只要告诉我事实真相,我把事实摘录下来,
You will sign it, and Watson here can witness it.
然后你在上面签字,这位华生可作见证人。
Then I could produce your confession at the last extremity to save young McCarthy.
以后我可能出示你的自白书,但只是在为了拯救小麦卡锡的万不得已的时候。
I promise you that I shall not use it unless it is absolutely needed."
我答应你,除非绝对必要,否则我不会用它的。"
"It's as well," said the old man; "it's a question whether I shall live to the Assizes,
那老人说:"这样也可以。我能不能活到巡回审判法庭开庭的时候还是个问题,
so it matters little to me, but I should wish to spare Alice the shock.
所以这对我没有多大关系,我只是不想引起艾丽斯的震惊就是了。
And now I will make the thing clear to you; it has been a long time in the acting, but will not take me long to tell."
现在我一定向你直说,事情经过的时间很长,我讲出来倒用不了多长时间。"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部