搜索

四签名 第97期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(7)

查看: 426.2k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:15:59 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第97期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(7)
Well, one fine day the crash came.
好啦,有一天变故来了。
I had been away on a distant plantation and was riding slowly home in the evening,
那天我正到远处一个园子去办事,黄昏时缓缓地骑着马回来。
when my eye fell upon something all huddled together at the bottom of a steep nullah.
在途中我的目光被陡峭的峡谷谷底上的一堆蜷伏着的东西吸引住了。
I rode down to see what it was, and the cold struck through my heart when I found it was Dawson's wife,
我骑马走下去一看,不禁毛骨悚然,正是道森的妻子
all cut into ribbons, and half eaten by jackals and native dogs.
她被人割成一条条的又被豺狼和野狗吃去了一半的残尸。
A little further up the road Dawson himself was lying on his face, quite dead,
道森的尸体就趴在不远的地方,
with an empty revolver in his hand, and four sepoys lying across each other in front of him.
手握着放空了的手枪,在他前面还躺着彼此压在一起的四个印度兵的尸首。
I reined up my horse, wondering which way I should turn;
我控着马缰,正不知往什么地方去才好,
but at that moment I saw thick smoke curling up from Abel White's bungalow and the flames beginning to burst through the roof.
忽然看见园主的房子烧了起来,火苗已经冲出屋顶。
I knew then that I could do my employer no good, but would only throw my own life away if I meddled in the matter.
我知道赶过去对主人绝无益处,也只能把自己的性命搭进去。
From where I stood I could see hundreds of the black fiends,
从我站的地方可以看见成百个穿红衣的黑鬼子
with their red coats still on their backs, dancing and howling round the burning house.
正在对着燃烧的房子手舞足蹈,
Some of them pointed at me, and a couple of bullets sang past my head:
其中有几个人向我指了一指,跟着就有两颗流弹从我头上掠过去。
so I broke away across the paddy-fields, and found myself late at night safe within the walls at Agra.
我扭转马头就向稻地里狂奔而去,深夜才逃到了阿格拉城内。
As it proved, however, there was no great safety there, either.
可是事实上阿格拉也不是很安全的地方,
The whole country was up like a swarm of bees.
整个印度已变成好象一群马蜂。
Wherever the English could collect in little bands they held just the ground that their guns commanded.
凡是英国人能聚集一些人的地方,也仅能保住枪炮射程以内的一小块地方,
Everywhere else they were helpless fugitives.
其他各处的英国人都成了流浪的逃难者。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部