搜索

四签名 第104期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(14)

查看: 110.5k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:16:00 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第104期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(14)
He has with him as travelling-companion my foster-brother Dost Akbar, who knows his secret.
他的同伴是我的同盟兄弟德斯特·阿克勃尔,他知道这个秘密。
Dost Akbar has promised this night to lead him to a side-postern of the fort,
德斯特·阿克勃尔和我们议定了
and has chosen this one for his purpose.
今晚把他从我们把守的堡门带进来。
Here he will come presently, and here he will find Mahomet Singh and myself awaiting him.
不久他们就要来了,他知道莫郝米特·辛格同我在等着他。
The place is lonely, and none shall know of his coming.
这个地方平静得很,没有人会知道他们的到来,
The world shall know the merchant Achmet no more,
从此世界上也就再没有阿奇麦特这个商人了,
but the great treasure of the rajah shall be divided among us. What say you to it, sahib?
而土王的宝物也就归咱们几人品分了。先生,您看好不好?
In Worcestershire the life of a man seems a great and a sacred thing;
在伍斯特尔州,生命被看得很重,被看成是神圣的,
but it is very different when there is fire and blood all round you,
可是在这个残杀焚掠、
and you have been used to meeting death at every turn.
人人都是朝不保夕的环境里,就不大相同了。
Whether Achmet the merchant lived or died was a thing as light as air to me,
这个商人阿奇麦特的生死,我在当时觉得是无足轻重的,
but at the talk about the treasure my heart turned to it,
那批宝物打动了我的心。
and I thought of what I might do in the old country with it,
我想象着回老家以后怎样支配这一笔财富,
and how my folk would stare when they saw their ne'er-do-well coming back with his pockets full of gold moidores.
想象着当乡亲们看到我这个从来不干好事的人带着满口袋的金币回来,会怎样地瞪大眼睛看我。
I had, therefore, already made up my mind.
因此,我下定了决心,
Abdullah Khan, however, thinking that I hesitated, pressed the matter more closely.
可是爱勃德勒·克汗还以为我在犹豫,又紧逼了一句。
'Consider, sahib,' said he, 'that if this man is taken by the commandant he will be hung or shot,
他道:'先生,请您再考虑考虑,如果这个人被指挥官捉到,必定会被处死刑,
and his jewels taken by the government, so that no man will be a rupee the better for them.
并且把宝物充公,谁也得不着一个钱。
Now, since we do the taking of him, why should we not do the rest as well?
他现在既然落到咱们手中,为什么咱们不把他私下解决了平分他的宝物呢?
The jewels will be as well with us as in the Company's coffers.
宝物归咱们和入了军队的银库还不是一样。
There will be enough to make every one of us rich men and great chiefs.
这些宝物足够使咱们每人都变成巨富。
No one can know about the matter, for here we are cut off from all men.
咱们距离别人很远,不会有人知道,
What could be better for the purpose?
您看还有比这个主意更好的吗?
Say again, then, sahib, whether you are with us, or if we must look upon you as an enemy.'
先生,请您再表示一下,您还是和我们一道呢,还是必须叫我们把您认做敌人?'

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部