搜索

四签名 第106期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(16)

查看: 387.1k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:16:00 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第106期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(16)
I let them scramble down the sloping bank, splash through the mire, and climb halfway up to the gate before I challenged them.
我等他们下了壕沟,涉过积水,爬上岸来,
'Who goes there?' said I in a subdued voice.
我才放低了声音问道:'来人是谁?'
'Friends,' came the answer.
来人应声答道:'是朋友。'
I uncovered my lantern and threw a flood of light upon them.
我把灯向他们照了照,
The first was an enormous Sikh with a black beard which swept nearly down to his cummerbund.
前面的印度人个子极高,满脸黑胡须长过了腰带,
Outside of a show I have never seen so tall a man.
除了在舞台上,我从来也没有看过这样高大的人。
The other was a little fat, round fellow with a great yellow turban and a bundle in his hand, done up in a shawl.
另外的那个人是个矮小的,胖得滚圆的家伙,缠着大黄包头,手里拿着一个围巾裹着的包。
He seemed to be all in a quiver with fear, for his hands twitched as if he had the ague,
他似乎骇怕得全身发抖,他的手抽动得好象发疟疾一样。
and his head kept turning to left and right with two bright little twinkling eyes,
他不住地左顾右盼,两只小眼睛闪闪发亮。
like a mouse when he ventures out from his hole.
像一只钻出洞外的老鼠的一样。
It gave me the chills to think of killing him,
我想,杀死这个人未免有些不忍,
but I thought of the treasure, and my heart set as hard as a flint within me.
可是一想到宝物,我的心立刻变成铁石。
When he saw my white face he gave a little chirrup of joy and came running up towards me.
他看见我是白种人,不禁欢喜地向我跑来。
'Your protection, sahib,' he panted, 'your protection for the unhappy merchant Achmet.
他喘息着说道:'先生,请保护我,请你保护这个逃难的商人阿奇麦特吧。
I have travelled across Rajpootana, that I might seek the shelter of the fort at Agra.
我从拉吉起塔诺来到阿格拉碉堡避难。
I have been robbed and beaten and abused because I have been the friend of the Company.
我曾被抢劫、鞭打和侮辱,因为过去我是你们军队的朋友。
It is a blessed night this when I am once more in safety–I and my poor possessions.'
现在我和我的东西得到了安全,真是感谢。'
'What have you in the bundle?' I asked.
我问道:'包里边是什么?'
'An iron box,' he answered, 'which contains one or two little family matters
他答道,'一个铁箱子,里边有一两件祖传的东西,
which are of no value to others but which I should be sorry to lose.
别人拿去不值钱,可是我舍不得丢掉。
Yet I am not a beggar; and I shall reward you, young sahib, and your governor also if he will give me the shelter I ask.'
我不是讨饭的穷人,如果您的长官能允许我住在这里的话,我一定对您--年轻的先生和您的长官多少有些报酬。'

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部