搜索

四签名 第61期:线索的中断(5)

查看: 122.2k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:16:26 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第61期:线索的中断(5)
At three o'clock on the afternoon there was a loud peal at the bell,
下午三点钟时,铃声大作,
an authoritative voice in the hall,
楼下有命令式的高声谈话,
and, to my surprise, no less a person than Mr. Athelney Jones was shown up to me.
没有想到上来的不是别人,竟是埃瑟尔尼·琼斯先生。
Very different was he, however,
可是他的态度和以前绝不相同了,
from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood.
他已经不象在上诺伍德那样粗暴、架子十足和以常识专家自居了,
His expression was downcast, and his bearing meek and even apologetic.
他在谦虚之外还有些自惭。
"Good-day, sir; good-day," said he. "Mr. Sherlock Holmes is out, I understand."
他道:"您好,先生,您好!听说福尔摩斯先生出去了。"
"Yes, and I cannot be sure when he will be back. But perhaps you would care to wait.
"是的,我不知道他几时可以回来。请等一等好不好?
Take that chair and try one of these cigars."
请坐,吸一支我们的雪茄烟好吗?"
"Thank you; I don't mind if I do," said he, mopping his face with a red bandanna handkerchief.
"谢谢,请赏我一支吸。"他说时用红绸巾轻轻地揩拭他的上额。
"And a whisky and soda?"
"敬您一杯加苏打的威士忌酒好吗?"
"Well, half a glass. It is very hot for the time of year, and I have had a good deal to worry and try me.
"好吧,半杯就够了。到这时候天气还是这般的热,我心绪又是这样的烦,
You know my theory about this Norwood case?"
您还记得我对这诺伍德案的理解吗?"
"I remember that you expressed one."
"我记得您说过一次。"
"Well, I have been obliged to reconsider it.
"咳,我现在对于这个案子又不得不加以重新考虑了。
I had my net drawn tightly round Mr. Sholto, sir, when pop he went through a hole in the middle of it.
我本已紧紧地把舒尔托先生兜在网里了,可是,咳,先生,半道里他又从网眼里溜了出去。
He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken.
他证明了一个无法推翻的事实
From the time that he left his brother's room he was never out of sight of someone or other.
他自从离开他哥哥以后始终有人和他在一起,
So it could not be he who climbed over roofs and through trapdoors.
所以这个从暗门进入屋内的人就不会是他了。
It's a very dark case, and my professional credit is at stake.
这个案子实在难破,我在警署的威望亦发生了动摇,
I should be very glad of a little assistance."
我很希望得到些帮助。"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部