搜索

四签名 第62期:线索的中断(6)

查看: 246.6k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:16:26 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第62期:线索的中断(6)
"We all need help sometimes," said I.
我道:"咱们谁都有需要别人帮助的时候啊。"
"Your friend, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, is a wonderful man, sir," said he in a husky and confidential voice.
他很肯定地说道:"先生,您的朋友歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生真是一位非凡的人。
"He's a man who is not to be beat.
他是人所不及的。
I have known that young man go into a good many cases,
我看见过他所经历的许多桩案子,
but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon.
没有一桩不被他弄清楚的。
He is irregular in his methods and a little quick perhaps in jumping at theories,
他使用的方法变化无穷,当然有时也失之过急,
but, on the whole, I think he would have made a most promising officer, and I don't care who knows it.
可是整个地来说,他是可以成为一个最有本领的警官的。不怕人笑话,我真是望尘莫及。
I have had a wire from him this morning,
今早我接到了他的一封电报,
by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business. Here is his message."
从里面可以知道,对于舒尔托这个案子,他已经有了新的发现。这就是那封电报。"
He took the telegram out of his pocket and handed it to me.
他从衣袋里把电报拿出来交给了我。
It was dated from Poplar at twelve o'clock.
这封电报是十二点钟从白杨镇发的,
Go to Baker Street at once (it said).
电文说:"请立刻到贝克街去。
If I have not returned, wait for me. I am close on the track of the Sholto gang.
假若我还没有回来,请等候。我已寻到舒尔托案匪徒的踪迹。
You can come with us to-night if you want to be in at the finish.
如果你愿意看到本案的结束,今晚可和我同去。
"This sounds well. He has evidently picked up the scent again," said I.
我道:"这封电报的语气很是令人高兴。他必定是把已断的线索接上了。"
"Ah, then he has been at fault too," exclaimed Jones with evident satisfaction.
琼斯很得意地说道:"啊,这么说来他也有时搞错的。
"Even the best of us are thrown off sometimes.
我们侦查的能手也常常走错路呢。
Of course this may prove to be a false alarm
这次也可能是空欢喜一场,
but it is my duty as an officer of the law to allow no chance to slip.
可是我们警察的责任是不能叫任何机会错过去的。
But there is someone at the door. Perhaps this is he."
现在有人叫门,也许是他回来了。"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部