搜索

四签名 第49期:贝克街的侦探小队(2)

查看: 240.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:16:33 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第49期:贝克街的侦探小队(2)
He was approaching the door of the house, when it opened,
他向那个屋门走过去,
and a little curly-headed lad of six came running out,
恰巧从里面跑出一个卷发的小男孩,约摸六岁光景。
followed by a stoutish, red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand.
后面追上来一个肥胖红脸的妇人,手里拿着一块海绵。
"You come back and be washed, Jack," she shouted.
她喊道:“杰克,回来洗澡!
"Come back, you young imp; for if your father comes home and finds you like that he'll let us hear of it."
快回来,你这小鬼!你爸爸回来看见你这个样子,轻饶不了你!"
"Dear little chap!" said Holmes strategically. "What a rosy-cheeked young rascal!
福尔摩斯乘着这个机会说道:“小朋友!你的小脸红通通的,真是个好孩子!
Now, Jack, is there anything you would like?"
杰克,你要什么东西吗?"
The youth pondered for a moment. "I'd like a shillin'," said he.
小孩想了一下,说道:“我要一个先令。"
"Nothing you would like better?"
"你不想要比一个先令更好的吗?"
"I'd like two shillin' better," the prodigy answered after some thought.
那天真的小孩想了想,又说道:“最好给我两个先令。"
"Here you are, then! Catch! A fine child, Mrs. Smith!"
"那么,好吧,接住了!斯密司太太,他真是个好孩子。"
"Lor' bless you, sir, he is that, and forward.
"先生,他就是这样的淘气,
He gets a'most too much for me to manage, specially when my man is away days at a time."
我老伴有时整天出去,我简直管不住他。"
"Away, is he?" said Holmes in a disappointed voice.
福尔摩斯装作失望,问道:“啊,他出去了?
"I am sorry for that, for I wanted to speak to Mr. Smith."
太不凑巧啦!我来找斯密司先生有事。"
"He's been away since yesterday mornin', sir,
"先生,他从昨天早晨就出去了。
and, truth to tell, I am beginnin' to feel frightened about him.
说实话,他到现在还没有回来,我真有点着急。
But if it was about a boat, sir, maybe I could serve as well."
可是,先生,您如果要租船,也可以和我谈。"
"I wanted to hire his steam launch."
"我要租他的汽船。"
"Why, bless you, sir, it is in the steam launch that he has gone.
"先生呀,他就是坐那汽船走的。
That's what puzzles me; for I know there ain't more coals in her than would take her to about Woolwich and back.
可怪的是我知道船上的煤不够到伍尔维破来回烧的。
If he's been away in the barge I'd ha' thought nothin';
他若是坐大片底船去,我就不会这样着急了,
for many a time a job has taken him as far as Gravesend,
因为有时他还要到更远的葛雷夫赞德去呢。
and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over.
再说他如果有事,可能有些耽搁,
But what good is a steam launch without coals?"
可是汽船没有煤烧怎么走呢?"
"He might have bought some at a wharf down the river."
"或者他可以在中途买些煤。"
"He might, sir, but it weren't his way.
"也说不定,可是他从来不这样做的,
Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags.
他常常说零袋煤价太贵。
Besides, I don't like that wooden-legged man,
再说我不喜欢那装木腿的人,
wi' his ugly face and outlandish talk.
他那张丑脸和外国派头。
What did he want always knockin' about here for?"
他常跑到这儿来,也不知道他有什么事。"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部