搜索

四签名 第23期:秃头人的故事(6)

查看: 372.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:16:56 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第23期:秃头人的故事(6)
'I was still pondering over the matter, when, looking up, I saw my servant, Lal Chowdar, in the doorway.
'当我还在考虑这件事的时候,抬起头来,忽然看见仆人拉尔·乔达站在门口。
He stole in and bolted the door behind him. "Do not fear, sahib," he said;
他偷偷地走了进来,回手闩了门,说道:"主人,不要害怕。
"no one need know that you have killed him. Let us hide him away, and who is the wiser?"
没有人会知道你害死了他。咱们把他藏起来,还有谁能知道呢?"
"I did not kill him," said I.
我道:"我并没有害死他。"
Lal Chowdar shook his head and smiled. "I heard it all, sahib," said he;
拉尔·乔达摇头笑道:"主人,我都听见了,
"I heard you quarrel, and I heard the blow. But my lips are sealed.
我听见你们争吵,我听见他倒了下去,可是我一定严守秘密。
All are asleep in the house. Let us put him away together."
家里的人全都睡着了。咱们把他掩埋起来吧。"
That was enough to decide me.
这样就使我决定了。
If my own servant could not believe my innocence,
我自己的仆人还不能相信我,
how could I hope to make it good before twelve foolish tradesmen in a jury-box?
我还能希望十二个坐在陪审席上的愚蠢的商人会宣告我无罪吗?
Lal Chowdar and I disposed of the body that night,
拉尔·乔达和我当天晚上就把尸身掩埋了,
and within a few days the London papers were full of the mysterious disappearance of Captain Morstan.
没有几天,伦敦报纸就都登了摩斯坦上尉失踪的疑案。
You will see from what I say that I can hardly be blamed in the matter.
从我所说的过程中你们可以知道,摩斯坦的死亡很难说是我的过失。
My fault lies in the fact that we concealed not only the body
我的错误是除了隐藏尸身外还隐藏了宝物,
but also the treasure and that I have clung to Morstan's share as well as to my own.
我得到了我应得的宝物,还霸占了摩斯坦的一份,
I wish you, therefore, to make restitution.
所以我希望你们把宝物归还给他的女儿。
Put your ears down to my mouth. The treasure is hidden in...'
你们把耳朵凑到我的嘴边来。宝物就藏在...'
"At this instant a horrible change came over his expression; his eyes stared wildly,
"话还没有说完,他就面色突变,他的两眼向外注视,
his jaw dropped, and he yelled in a voice which I can never forget,
他的下颏下坠,用一种令我永不能忘的声音喊道:
'Keep him out! For Christ's sake keep him out!'
'把他赶出去!千万把...千万把他赶出去!'
We both stared round at the window behind us upon which his gaze was fixed.
我们一起回头看他所盯住的窗户。
A face was looking in at us out of the darkness.
黑暗里有一个面孔正向我们凝视。
We could see the whitening of the nose where it was pressed against the glass.
我们可以看见他那在玻璃上被压得变白的鼻子。
It was a bearded, hairy face, with wild cruel eyes and an expression of concentrated malevolence.
一个多毛的脸,两只凶狠的眼睛,还有凶恶的表情。
My brother and I rushed towards the window, but the man was gone.
我们兄弟二人赶紧冲到窗前,可是那个人已经不见了。
When we returned to my father his head had dropped and his pulse had ceased to beat.
再回来看我们的父亲,只见他头已下垂,脉搏已停。
"We searched the garden that night
"当晚我们搜查了花园,
but found no sign of the intruder save that just under the window a single footmark was visible in the flower-bed.
除了窗下花床上的一个鲜明的脚印以外,这个不速之客并未留有其他痕迹。
But for that one trace, we might have thought that our imaginations had conjured up that wild, fierce face.
但是只根据这一点迹象,我们或者还会猜疑那个凶狠的脸是出于我们的幻想。
We soon, however, had another and a more striking proof that there were secret agencies at work all round us.
不久,我们就另外得到了更确切的证明,原来在我们附近有一帮人对我们正在进行秘密活动。
The window of my father's room was found open in the morning, his cupboards and boxes had been rifled,
我们在第二天早晨发现了父亲卧室的窗户大开,他的橱柜和箱子全都经过了搜查,
and upon his chest was fixed a torn piece of paper with the words 'The sign of the four' scrawled across it.
在他的箱子上钉着一张破纸,上面潦草地写着:'四个签名' 。
What the phrase meant or who our secret visitor may have been, we never knew.
这句话怎样解释和秘密来过的人是谁,我们到现在也不知道。
As far as we can judge, none of my father's property had been actually stolen, though everything had been turned out.
我们所能断定的只是:虽然所有的东西全都被翻动过了,可是我父亲的财物并没有被窃。
My brother and I naturally associated this peculiar incident with the fear which haunted my father during his life,
我们兄弟二人自然会联想到,这回事情和他平日的恐惧是有关联的,
but it is still a complete mystery to us."
但仍然还是一个完全不能了解的疑案。"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部