搜索

血字的研究 第95期:尾声(6)

查看: 355.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:17:07 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
血字的研究 第95期:尾声(6)
The murder of Stangerson was an incident which was entirely unexpected,
至于谋杀斯坦节逊这一层,确实是一件完全没有意料到的事件。
but which could hardly in any case have been prevented.
但是,这些意外事件,无论在什么情况下,都是很难避免的。
Through it, as you know, I came into possession of the pills,
你已经知道,在这个事件里,我找到了两枚药丸。
the existence of which I had already surmised.
我早就推想到一定会有这种东西存在的。
You see, the whole thing is a chain of logical sequences without a break or flaw."
你看,这件案子整个就是一条在逻辑上前后相连、毫无间断的链条。"
"It is wonderful!" I cried.
"真是妙极了!"我不禁叫了起来,
"Your merits should be publicly recognized.
"你的这些本领应当公布出来,让大家都知道一下。
You should publish an account of the case.
你应当发表这个案件。
If you won't, I will for you."
如果你不愿意的话,我来替你发表。"
"You may do what you like, Doctor," he answered.
"你愿意怎样办,就怎么办吧,医生,"他回答说,
"See here!" he continued, handing a paper over to me, "look at this!"
"你且看看这个!"他一面说着,一面递给我一张报纸,"看看这个!"
It was the Echo for the day, and the paragraph to which he pointed was devoted to the case in question.
这是今天的一份《回声报》,他指的那一段正是报道我们所说的这个案件的。
"The public," it said, "have lost a sensational treat through the sudden death of the man Hope,
报上这样说:由于侯波这个人突然死去,社会人士因而失去了一件耸人听闻的谈论资料。
who was suspected of the murder of Mr. Enoch Drebber and of Mr. Joseph Stangerson.
侯波是谋杀伊瑙克·锥伯先生和约瑟夫·斯坦节逊先生的嫌疑犯。
The details of the case will probably be never known now,
虽然我们从有关当局获悉,
though we are informed upon good authority that the crime was the result of an old-standing and romantic feud,
这是一件由来已久的桃色纠纷犯罪案件,其中牵涉到爱情和摩门教等问题。但是这个案件的内幕实情,
in which love and Mormonism bore a part.
现在可能永远不会揭晓了。
It seems that both the victims belonged, in their younger days, to the Latter Day Saints,
据悉,两个被害者年轻时曾经都是摩门教徒。
and Hope, the deceased prisoner, hails also from Salt Lake City.
已死的在押犯侯波,也是来自盐湖城的。
If the case has had no other effect, it, at least,
如果说这个案件并无其他作用的话,至少
brings out in the most striking manner the efficiency of our detective police force,
它可以极为突出地说明我方警探破案之神速,
and will serve as a lesson to all foreigners that they will do wisely to settle their feuds at home,
并且足以使一切外国人等引以为戒;他们还是在他们本国之内解决他们的纠纷为妙,
and not to carry them on to British soil.
最好不要把这些纷争带到不列颠的国土上来。
It is an open secret that
这已经是一件公开的秘密,
the credit of this smart capture belongs entirely to the well-known Scotland Yard officials, Messrs. Lestrade and Gregson.
破案神速之功完全归于苏格兰场知名官员雷斯垂德和葛莱森两位先生,
The man was apprehended, it appears, in the rooms of a certain Mr. Sherlock Holmes,
据悉,凶手是在一位歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生的家中被捕的。
who has himself, as an amateur, shown some talent in the detective line and who,
歇洛克·福尔摩斯作为一个私家侦探,在探案方面也表现了一定的才能,
with such instructors, may hope in time to attain to some degree of their skill.
他在这样的两位导师教诲之下,想来必能获得一定的成就。
It is expected that a testimonial of some sort will be presented to the two officers as a fitting recognition of their services."
一般估计,这两位官员将荣膺某种奖赏,作为对于他们劳绩的表扬云云。
"Didn't I tell you so when we started?" cried Sherlock Holmes with a laugh.
歇洛克·福尔摩斯大笑着说:"我开头不是这样对你说过吗?
"That's the result of all our Study in Scarlet: to get them a testimonial!"
这就是咱们对血字研究的全部结果:给他们挣来了褒奖!"
"Never mind," I answered; "I have all the facts in my journal, and the public shall know them.
我回答说:"不要紧,全部事实经过都记在我的笔记本里,社会上一定会知道真情实况的。
In the meantime you must make yourself contented by the consciousness of success, like the Roman miser
这个案子既已破了,你也就该感到心满意足了,就象罗马守财奴所说的那样:
"Populus me sibilat, at mihi plaudo Ipse domi simul ac nummos contemplar in arca."
笑骂由你,我自为之;家藏万贯,唯我独赏。"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部