搜索

四签名 第8期:演绎法的研究(8)

查看: 143.7k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:17:13 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第8期:演绎法的研究(8)
For example, I began by stating that your brother was careless.
举例来说吧,我开始时曾说你哥哥的行为很不谨慎。
When you observe the lower part of that watch-case you notice that it is not only dinted in two places
请看这只表,不仅下面边缘上有凹痕两处,整个表的上面还有无数的伤痕,
but it is cut and marked all over from the habit of keeping other hard objects, such as coins or keys, in the same pocket.
这是因为惯于把表放在有钱币、钥匙一类硬东西的衣袋里的缘故。
Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man.
对一只价值五十多金镑的表这样不经心,说他生活不检点,总不算是过分吧!
Neither is it a very far-fetched inference that a man who inherits one article of such value is pretty well provided for in other respects."
单是这只表已经如此贵重,若说遗产不丰富,也是没有道理的。"
I nodded to show that I followed his reasoning.
我点着头,表示领会了他的道理。
"It is very customary for pawnbrokers in England,
"伦敦当票的惯例是:
when they take a watch, to scratch the numbers of the ticket with a pin-point upon the inside of the case.
每收进一只表,必定要用针尖把当票的号码刻在表的里面,
It is more handy than a label as there is no risk of the number being lost or transposed.
这个办法比较挂一个牌子好,可以免去号码失掉或混乱的危险。
There are no less than four such numbers visible to my lens on the inside of this case.
用放大镜细看里面,发现了这类号码至少有四个。
Inference–that your brother was often at low water.
结论是:你哥哥常常窘困;
Secondary inference–that he had occasional bursts of prosperity, or he could not have redeemed the pledge.
附带的结论是:他有时景况很好,否则他就不会有力量去赎当了。
Finally, I ask you to look at the inner plate, which contains the keyhole.
最后请你注意这有钥匙孔的里盖,
Look at the thousands of scratches all round the hole–marks where the key has slipped.
围绕钥匙孔有上千的伤痕,这是由于被钥匙摩擦而造成的。
What sober man's key could have scored those grooves?
清醒的人插钥匙,不是一插就进去吗?
But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them.
醉汉的表没有不留下这些痕迹的。
He winds it at night, and he leaves these traces of his unsteady hand.
他晚上上弦,所以留下了手腕颤抖的痕迹。
Where is the mystery in all this?"
这还有什么玄妙呢?"
"It is as clear as daylight," I answered.
我答道:"一经说破,如见天日。
"I regret the injustice which I did you.
我对你的冒犯,请你原谅。
I should have had more faith in your marvellous faculty.
我应当对你的神妙能力有更大的信心才对,
May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?"
请问你目前手里还有没有侦查的案件?"
"None. Hence the cocaine. I cannot live without brainwork.
"没有,所以才注射可卡因啊。不用动脑筋,我就活不下去。
What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here.
除却这个还有什么生趣呢?请站到窗前来。
Was ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world?
难道有过这样凄凉惨淡而又无聊的世界吗?
See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses.
看哪,那黄雾沿街滚滚而下,擦着那些暗褐色的房屋飘浮而过,
What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material?
还有再比这个更平凡无聊的吗?
What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?
医师,试想英雄无用武之地,有劲头又有什么用呢?
Crime is commonplace, existence is commonplace, and no qualities save those which are commonplace have any function upon earth."
犯罪是寻常的事,人生在世也是寻常的事,在这个世界上除了寻常的事还有什么呢?"
I had opened my mouth to reply to this tirade when, with a crisp knock,
我正要开口回答他那激烈的言论,忽然敲门声音很急。
our landlady entered, bearing a card upon the brass salver.
我们的房东走了进来,托着一个铜盘,上面放着一张名片。
"A young lady for you, sir," she said, addressing my companion.
她对我的伙伴说道:"一位年轻的妇女求见。"
"Miss Mary Morstan," he read. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name.
他读着名片:"梅丽·摩斯坦小姐。
Ask the young lady to step up, Mrs. Hudson.
嗯!这个名字生疏得很。赫德森太太,请她进来。
Don't go, Doctor. I should prefer that you remain."
医生,你别走,我愿你留在这里。"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部