搜索

血字的研究 第24期:警察栾斯的叙述(5)

查看: 82.9k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:17:47 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
血字的研究 第24期:警察栾斯的叙述(5)
"There's a half-sovereign for you," my companion said, standing up and taking his hat.
"这个半镑金币给你,"我的同伴说着就站起身来,戴上帽子,
"I am afraid, Rance, that you will never rise in the force.
"栾斯,我恐怕你在警察大队里永远不会高升了。
That head of yours should be for use as well as ornament.
你的那个脑袋不该光是个装饰,也该有点用处才对。
You might have gained your sergeant's stripes last night.
昨夜你本来可以捞个警长干干的。
The man whom you held in your hands is the man who holds the clue of this mystery, and whom we are seeking.
昨夜在你手里的那个人,就是这件神秘案子的线索,现在我们正在找他。
There is no use of arguing about it now; I tell you that it is so.
这会儿再争论也没有什么用处了。我告诉你,事实就是这么回事。
Come along, Doctor."
走吧,医生。"
We started off for the cab together, leaving our informant incredulous, but obviously uncomfortable.
说着我们就一起出来寻找我们的马车,剩下那个警察还在半信半疑,但是显然觉得不安。
"The blundering fool!" Holmes said, bitterly, as we drove back to our lodgings.
我们坐着车子回家的时候,福尔摩斯狠狠地说:"这个大傻瓜!
"Just to think of his having such an incomparable bit of good luck, and not taking advantage of it."
想想看,碰上这样一个千载难逢的好机会,他却把它白白地放过了。"
"I am rather in the dark still.
"我简直还是坠在五里雾中哩。
It is true that the description of this man tallies with your idea of the second party in this mystery.
诚然,这个警察所形容的那个人和你所想象的那人的情况正好一样,
But why should he come back to the house after leaving it?
但是他干吗要去而复返呢?
That is not the way of criminals."
这不象罪犯应有的行径吧。"
"The ring, man, the ring: that was what he came back for.
"戒指,先生,戒指,他回来就是为了这个东西。
If we have no other way of catching him, we can always bait our line with the ring.
咱们要是没有别的法子捉住他,就可以拿这个戒指当做钓饵,让他上钩。
I shall have him, Doctor--I'll lay you two to one that I have him.
我一定会捉住他的,医生--我敢和你下二比一的赌注打个赌,我可以逮住他。
I must thank you for it all.
这一切我倒要感激你啦。
I might not have gone but for you, and so have missed the finest study I ever came across: a study in scarlet, eh?
要不是你,我还不会去呢,那么我就要失掉这个从来没遇到过的最好的研究机会了。咱们叫它作'血字的研究'好吧?
Why shouldn't we use a little art jargon.
咱们何妨使用一些美丽的辞藻呢。
There's the scarlet thread of murder running through the colourless skein of life,
在平淡无奇的生活纠葛里,谋杀案就像一条红线一样,贯穿在中间。
and our duty is to unravel it, and isolate it, and expose every inch of it.
咱们的责任就是要去揭露它,把它从生活中清理出来,彻底地加以暴露。
And now for lunch, and then for Norman Neruda.
咱们先去吃饭,然后再去听听诺尔曼·聂鲁达的音乐演奏。
Her attack and her bowing are splendid.
她的指法和弓法简直妙极了。
What's that little thing of Chopin's she plays so magnificently: Tra-la-la-lira-lira-lay."
她演奏萧邦的那段什么小曲子真是妙极了:特拉—拉—拉—利拉—利拉—莱。"
Leaning back in the cab, this amateur bloodhound carolled away like a lark while I meditated upon the many-sidedness of the human mind.
这位非官方侦探家靠在马车上象只云雀似地唱个不停。我在默默沉思着;人类的头脑真是无所不能啊。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部