搜索

血字的研究 第14期:劳瑞斯顿花园街的惨案(2)

查看: 68.7k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:17:51 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
血字的研究 第14期:劳瑞斯顿花园街的惨案(2)
"Gregson is the smartest of the Scotland Yarders," my friend remarked;
我的朋友说道:"葛莱森在伦敦警察厅中不愧是首屈一指的能干人物。
"he and Lestrade are the pick of a bad lot.
他和雷斯垂德都算是那一群蠢货之中的佼佼者。
They are both quick and energetic, but conventional–shockingly so.
他们两人也称得起是眼明手快、机警干练了,但都因循守旧,而且守旧得厉害。
They have their knives into one another, too.
他们彼此明枪暗箭、勾心斗角,
They are as jealous as a pair of professional beauties.
就象两个卖笑妇人似的多猜善妒。
There will be some fun over this case if they are both put upon the scent."
如果这两个人都插手这件案子的话,那就一定会闹出笑话来的。"
I was amazed at the calm way in which he rippled on.
看到福尔摩斯还在不慌不忙、若无其事地侃侃而谈,我非常惊讶。
"Surely there is not a moment to be lost," I cried;
因此我大声叫道:"真是一分钟也不能耽误了,
"shall I go and order you a cab?"
要我给你雇辆马车来吗?"
"I'm not sure about whether I shall go.
"连去不去我还没有肯定呢。
I am the most incurably lazy devil that ever stood in shoe leather–that is, when the fit is on me, for I can be spry enough at times."
我确实是世界上少有的懒鬼,可是,那只是当我的懒劲儿上来的时候才这样,因为有时我也非常敏捷哩。"
"Why, it is just such a chance as you have been longing for."
"什么?这不正是你一直盼望着的机会吗?"
"My dear fellow, what does it matter to me?
"亲爱的朋友,这和我又有什么关系呢?
Supposing I unravel the whole matter, you may be sure that Gregson, Lestrade, and Co.will pocket all the credit.
我如果把这件案子全盘解决了,肯定地说,葛莱森和雷斯垂德这一帮人是会把全部功劳归为己有的。
That comes of being an unofficial personage."
这是因为我是个非官方人士的缘故。"
"But he begs you to help him."
"但是他现在是求助于你呀。"
"Yes. He knows that I am his superior, and acknowledges it to me;
"是的。他知道我胜他一筹,当我面他也会承认;
but he would cut his tongue out before he would own it to any third person.
但是,他宁愿割掉他的舌头,也决不愿在任何第三者的面前承认这一点。
However, we may as well go and have a look. I shall work it out on my own hook.
虽然如此,咱们还是可以瞧瞧去。我可以自己单干,一个人破案。
I may have a laugh at them, if I have nothing else. Come on!" 、
即使我得不到什么,也可以嘲笑他们一番。走罢!"
He hustled on his overcoat, and bustled about in a way that showed that an energetic fit had superseded the apathetic one.
他披上大衣,那种匆忙的样子说明他跃跃欲试的心情已压倒了无动于衷和消极冷淡的一面。
"Get your hat," he said.
他说:"戴上你的帽子。"
"You wish me to come?"
"你希望我也去吗?"
"Yes, if you have nothing better to do."
"是的,如果你没有别的事情要做的话。"
A minute later we were both in a hansom, driving furiously for the Brixton Road.
一分钟以后,我们就坐上了一辆马车,急急忙忙地向布瑞克斯顿路驶去。
It was a foggy, cloudy morning, and a dun-coloured veil hung over the housetops,
这是一个阴霾多雾的早晨,屋顶上笼罩着一层灰褐色的帷幔,
looking like the reflection of the mud-coloured streets beneath.
恰似下面泥泞街道的反映。
My companion was in the best of spirits,
我同伴的兴致很高,
and prattled away about Cremona fiddles and the difference between a Stradivarius and an Amati.
喋喋不休地大谈意大利克里莫纳出产的提琴以及斯特莱迪瓦利提琴与阿玛蒂提琴之间的区别,
As for myself, I was silent,
而我却一言不发,静悄悄地听着,
for the dull weather and the melancholy business upon which we were engaged depressed my spirits.
因为沉闷的天气和这种令人伤感的任务使我的情绪非常消沉。
"You don't seem to give much thought to the matter in hand," I said at last, interrupting Holmes's musical disquisition.
最后我终于打断了福尔摩斯在音乐方面的议论,我说:"你似乎不大考虑眼前的这件案子。"
"No data yet," he answered.
他回答说:"还没有材料哪。
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment."
没有掌握全部证据之前,先作出假设来,这是绝大的错误。那样就会使判断产生气差。"
"You will have your data soon," I remarked, pointing with my finger;
"你很快就可以得到材料了。"我一面说,一面用手指着前面,
"this is the Brixton Road, and that is the house, if I am not very much mistaken."
"若是我没弄错的话,这就是布瑞克斯顿路,那里就是出事所在的房子。"
"So it is. Stop, driver, stop!"
"正是。停下,车夫,快停车!"
We were still a hundred yards or so from it,
我们离那所房子还有一百码左右,
but he insisted upon our alighting, and we finished our journey upon foot.
他就坚持要下车,剩下的一段路,我们就步行。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部