搜索

美国小学英语教材5:第21课 邮件必须送达(3)

查看: 304.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 Feb 3, 2019 14:34:25 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
美国小学英语教材5:第21课 邮件必须送达(3)
"Boys," he said solemnly, "it is a great thing we are undertaking this day.
“小伙子们,”他郑重地说,“这是我们今天要做的一件大事。
Our government has entrusted to us the safe carrying and delivery of its mails.
我国政府已委托我们安全运送政府邮件。
I have only this to say to you: Come what may, the mail must go through.
我只想和你们说:无论发生什么事,邮件都必须送达。
In my hat I am placing a slip of paper for each of you.
在我的帽子里,我为你们每个人放了一张纸条。
Upon one of the slips I have marked a cross in pencil.
在其中一张纸条上,我用铅笔画了一个十字。
He who draws the cross shall carry the first pouch. Draw!"
抽到画十字的将会运送这第一批邮件。大家请抽吧!”
Eagerly they crowded around him and drew.
他们急切地围着他,开始抽签。
"I've got it," yelled Johnny Frye joyfully.
“我抽到了,” 约翰尼·弗莱高兴地喊道。
One after another, his fellows stepped up to shake his hand and wish him luck, in spite of their own disappointment.
同伴们一个接一个地走上前和他握手,并祝他好运,尽管他们自己也很失望。
"Now for the horse that shall bear you," said Majors.
“现在去找一匹将要驮你的马儿吧,” 梅杰斯说道。
"You shall have your pick from the corral. William!"
“你可以从畜栏里挑一匹你中意的。威廉!”
Out from the corner where he had been an interested listener, William Saunders, a sturdy boy of sixteen, approached his employer.
16岁的威廉·桑德斯是一个健壮的男孩,之前一直在饶有兴趣地听着,现在他从角落里走出来,走向他的雇主。
His blue eyes glowed with excitement.
他的蓝眼睛因兴奋而发亮。
Through his veins the blood was racing madly with the thrill of knowing that he had a part, small as it was, in this great day.
他的血管里涌动着热血,因为他知道在这个伟大的日子里,他承担着一个小小的角色,这让他激动不已。
He held his head high;
他高昂着头;
he had been employed by Russell, Majors and Waddell to take charge of the horses kept ready for the riders of the Pony Express between St.Joseph and the first relay station on the long trail westward.
他曾受雇于拉塞尔、梅杰斯和瓦德尔,负责为圣约瑟夫和西行漫长路线上的第一个中转站之间的“快马邮递”的骑手们准备好马匹。
"William," Majors ordered, "take Johnny Frye to the corral and let him look over the ponies.
“威廉,”梅杰斯命令道,“带约翰尼·弗莱去畜栏,让他看看小马。
You will see that the one he chooses is properly groomed, saddled, and bridled, and is on hand at the railroad station when the train from the East arrives."
你会看到他选择的马儿打扮得很好,上了鞍,上了缰绳,等火车从东方驶来的时候,就在火车站旁边。”

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部